We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Sneak is one of the stealth / thieving skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It affects the player's ability to remain unseen and stealthily attack targets.
- A closed eye means that no one can see you.
- An opening eye means that enemies have become alert and are searching for you.
- A fully open eye means that someone has detected you.
- If the reticle displays DETECTED, an enemy has spotted you and is about to attack.
- If the reticle displays HIDDEN, enemies have lost track of you and stopped searching.
If you attack while the eye is partially closed, your attack is considered a Sneak Attack and does additional damage.
Your ability to sneak successfully is determined by a number of factors:
- Movement: You are hardest to detect while motionless, and easier to spot while moving.
- Line of Sight: Enemies are much less likely to detect you if they can't see you.
- Light Level: The darker it is, the harder it is for enemies to see you.
- Sound: Attacking and casting spells makes noise, which may alert enemies to your presence. Heavier weapons make more noise. Spells produce both sound and light.
- Armor: Heavier armor makes more noise when moving.
Note: There is an exploit due to a glitch at High Hrothgar. If you sneak up on the Greybeards while they are sitting and you are undetected, slash at them with a dagger, and your sneak will level up every 1 to 4 slashes.
Enemies will react to other sounds in the environment, like arrow impacts or traps. You can sometimes use this to your advantage to lure an enemy out of position.
Perks[edit | edit source]
|Stealth||None||You are 20% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Sneak 20||You are 25% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Sneak 40||You are 30% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Sneak 60||You are 35% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Sneak 80||You are 40% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Backstab||Sneak 30, Stealth||Sneak attacks do 6 times damage with One-handed weapons.|
|Muffled Movement||Sneak 30, Stealth||Noise from armor reduced 50%.|
|Deadly Aim||Sneak 40, Backstab||Sneak attacks with bows do 3 times damage.|
|Light Foot||Sneak 40, Muffled Movement||No longer activate pressure plates.|
|Assassin's Blade||Sneak 50, Deadly Aim||Sneak attacks with daggers do 15 times damage.|
|Silent Roll||Sneak 50, Light Foot||Sprinting while sneaking performs silent forward roll.|
|Silence||Sneak 70, Silent Roll||Running does not affect detection chance.|
|Shadow Warrior||Sneak 100, Silence||Crouching can make hostile enemies lose sight of you and search for a target.|
Free skill boosts[edit | edit source]
- Inge Six Fingers provides a +1 Sneak reward (as well as +1 to all other stealth skills) for completing "Finn's Lute"
- Noster Eagle-Eye provides a +1 Sneak reward for finding his helmet
- Stands-In-Shallows provides a +1 Sneak reward for getting the Double-Distilled Skooma
- 2920, Last Seed, v8
- Legend of Krately House
- The Red Kitchen Reader
- Sacred Witness
- Three Thieves
- Oghma Infinium (Path of Shadow only)
Apparel[edit | edit source]
|Minor Sneaking||Sneaking||Major Sneaking||Eminent Sneaking||Exteme Sneaking||Peerless Sneaking|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Thief - Pick 50 locks and 50 pockets.