The Forgotten Vale is a hidden region of Skyrim that is inhabited by Falmer. However, it once was a holy place to their predecessors, the Snow Elves, and houses a temple to the goddess Auri-El. It also contains a massive frozen-over lake and waterfall, where dragons are known to lurk, even underwater. It contains variants of almost any species known in Skyrim, including the otherwise unseen Frost Giants.
NPCs[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Places[edit | edit source]
Forgotten Vale Cave[edit | edit source]
Shortly after entering the vale the Dragonborn will stumble upon a small cave, just north of the main path. In the cave a Rope Release opens up a hidden passage to the a Shellbug that can be mined for Shellbug Chitin.
Further along the path the Wayshrine of Sight is located. And entering the main vale with the frozen waterfalls, to the south-east is the Wayshrine of Learning. At the northern end of the frozen lake the Wayshrine of Resolution is located. Finally just before crossing the stone bridge to the Inner Sanctum the Wayshrine of Radiance appears.
Paragon Portal[edit | edit source]
Entering the main vale, turn north along the frozen waterfalls, upriver to find the Paragon Portal, that lets you place paragon gems (from Frost Giants), opening portals to various hidden areas in the vale.
Darkfall Grotto[edit | edit source]
- see Darkfall Grotto
Forgotten Vale Overlook[edit | edit source]
The Forgotten Vale Overlook is accessed by using the Emerald Paragon at the Paragon Portal.
Forgotten Vale Forest[edit | edit source]
Sharpslope Cave[edit | edit source]
After the Wayshrine of Resolution, following the river upstream will lead to a cave connecting the river bed with the Falmer tents up in the mountains, this can be used as a short cut to avoid some of the Falmer resistance in the canyon. Another Shellbug can be found here.
Glacial Crevice[edit | edit source]
Inner Sanctum[edit | edit source]
Located up the cliff at the south-eastern tip of the ice lake in the Forgotten Vale, reaching the sanctum requires taking a long-winding path through the vale. A secret room at the sanctum can only be accessed via Paragon Portal by using the Sapphire Paragon. A Shrine of Auriel can be found here.
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Touching the Sky, the search for Auriel's Bow.
- Forgotten Vale Books Quest, "Bring Ancient Falmer Tome to Urag-gro Shub".
Items of Note[edit | edit source]
- Forgotten Vale Cave: Falmer chest ~1120 value (L72).
- Darkfall Grotto: Falmer chests ~1930, ~1140, ~1550, ~1620 value (L72).
- Glacial Crevice (via Diamond Paragon): Metal Chest ~1210 value (L72).
- Forgotten Vale Forest (via Ruby Paragon): Falmer Warmonger with Auriel's Shield and metal Chest ~440 value (L72).
Inner Sanctum hidden room (via Sapphire Paragon):
- Garnet ×14, Flawless Garnet ×4, Amethyst ×4, Flawless Amethyst ×3, Diamond ×2, Emerald and Flawless Emerald.
- Elven Sword of Malediction, Elven Shield, Elven Light Gauntlets and Elven Helmet.
- Metal chests ~380, ~1060, ~540 value (L72).
Dark Grotto (via Amethyst Paragon):
- Falmer chests ~2710, ~1050, ~2690, ~1760, ~170, ~1560, ~1110, ~1830, ~1230, value (L72).
Forgotten Vale Overlook (via Emerald Paragon, follow river):
- A copy of Unknown Book, Vol. II, Elven Greatsword of Evoking, Ebony Bow of the Inferno and metal Chest ~1650 value (L72).
Forgotten Vale (out in the open):
- Silver Ore Vein ×7, Gold Ore Vein ×5, Malachite Ore Vein ×7, Moonstone Ore Vein ×9 (at ice lake), Orichalcum Ore Vein ×7 (near Sharpslope Cave), Quicksilver Ore Vein ×10 (exiting Glacial Crevice), Gold Ore ×4 (Sharpslope Cave exit), Moonstone Ore, Quicksilver Ore ×8 and Silver Ore.
- Metal chests ~1420 ~740, ~470; satchel ~410, ~410, Falmer chests ~2420, ~2050, ~580, ~4360, ~790, ~1520, ~1110, ~720, ~1350 value (L72).
- A copy of Unknown Book, Vol. I can be found just passing the spiders, entering the main vale, next to a skeleton.
- Around frozen lake: Potions ×5, Elven Sword and metal Chest ~1690 value (L72).
- Potions ×16, alchemy lab, Falmer Bow, Garnet ×3, Ruby, Amethyst, Emerald, Greater Soul Gem, and Honed Falmer Sword.
- A copy of Unknown Book, Vol. III, south of the upper Sharpslope Cave exit, in a tent.
- A copy of Unknown Book, Vol. IV, south of the Inner Sanctum, in the lower canyon in a tent with mammoth scull above the doorway.
- Under Inner Sanctum bridge, south-west side, east along cliff: Gold Ore Vein, Honed Falmer Sword, Gold Ruby Necklace, Powdered Mammoth Tusk, Gold Ore ×2, Flawless Diamond and Diamond.
- On north-eastern side of bridge, go west: Elven Greatsword and Flawless Sapphire.
- Potions ×17, Silver Emerald Necklace, Necklace of Extreme Health, Circlet of Waterbreathing, Amethyst, Emerald and Garnet.
- Staff of Ice Spikes, Elven Arrows ×30 and Elven War Axe.
- Metal chests ~1170, ~1970, ~980, ~1380 value (L72).
- Scroll of Blizzard, Scroll of Fireball, Scroll of Ironflesh, Scroll of Conjure Flame Atronach, Scroll of Grand Healing, Scroll of Fire Storm and Spell Tome: Pacify.