Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Horses are non-hostile creatures found in Skyrim. Horses can be purchased for 1000 at stables located just outside most major cities, and used as mounts to travel more quickly from location to location outside the cities. They can also be stolen.
To purchase a horse, visit the stables outside any major city and speak to the stablemaster. Riding a horse you do not own is a crime, and will put a Bounty on your head.
When you fast travel to a city, your horse is left for you at the stables outside the city.
Horses allow the player to travel even when over-encumbered and can also be used in conjunction with Fast Travel. This means that you still can Fast Travel, even if you hit the weight limit, but only if you're on a horse.
They will also attack foes.
You can own multiple types of horses and multiple horses of the same type. The horse that you have ridden and fast traveled with most recently is the one that will accompany you; other owned horses return to the stable where they were purchased.
- Black - Can be stolen or bought at Whiterun Stables for 1000
- Brown - Can be stolen or bought at Windhelm Stables for 1000
- Dappled (Gray) - Can be stolen or bought at Riften Stables for 1000
- Paint - Can be stolen or bought at Markarth Stables for 1000
- Palomino - Can be stolen or bought at Katla's Farm near Solitude for 1000