The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The very first Elder Scrolls game, The Elder Scrolls: Arena, came out for PC in 1994. There have been 14 releases under the Elder Scrolls moniker since then, including expansions and add-ons. Skyrim is the latest Elder Scrolls core game released since 2006.
What is new in Skyrim
- Acrobatics and Athletics skills have been removed from Skyrim, instead there is a sprint button.
- Boats are scenery items only and cannot be operated. Most can be boarded, and one is used to reach Japhet's Folly, but the travel is done offscreen.
- Mounts include horses.
- Dragons cannot be mounted even if mounts make it into the game (one dragon, Odahviing, is mounted but only once, to reach Skuldafn and there is not cut scene, just a cut). Dragons think on their own so they attack dynamically based on how the player reacts. They cannot fly if severely injured. There are unlimited dragons.
- Kill dragons, absorb their essence, and then learn dragon shouts on word walls (stone slabs) located in deep caverns. Use the dragon shouts to perform special abilities such as slow time or just shout a force-wave at your opponent.
- The Skyrim map is roughly the same size as Oblivion.
- 120+ dungeons.
- 6 to 8 different environment types. No seasons but there is a weather system. "As far as variation of environments, the one you saw was like our pine forest and our mountains. We have a big grassy tundra, we have a fall forest, we have a volcanic tundra, we have a big glacial area to the north, it's really icy."
- 5 major cities and 7 to 9 small towns.
- Players may be able to affect the economies of the cities. "We have mines and smelters for iron that affects weapons, then we have farms that affect food and ingredients that affect alchemy. We have all that working but we haven't found the gameplay sweet spot."
- "In Oblivion you have your eight attributes and 21 skills. Now you have 18 skills and three attributes."
- The map is 3D, but you can't make notes on it.
- Some dragons are friendly, at least to the point of holding conversations with the player.
- Some level of economic simulation is in, with the prices of goods reflecting the state of the world.
- Blowing wind will whip up the surface of bodies of water.
- Lockpicking: still a minigame.
- Players can buy houses again.
- Children will appear in some form in-game.
- 60,000 lines of recorded dialog.
- Guards will not be omnipotent and not know exactly where you are. Instead, they'll behave more realistically and guards in another area won't know about your crimes.
- 13 types of ore for crafting.
- Ability to take a carriage from one city to another without having explored it first.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is available for PC, Playstation3, and XBox in both the standard edition as well as the collector's edition. The standard edition is also available for download through the Steam Store.
The limited issue Collector's edition includes:
- Alduin Statue. Created in conjunction with the IP Factory, this collector's only statue stands 12" tall and is made of high quality PVC. Modeled from actual in-game 3D digital files, it showcases Alduin, the World Eater.
- The Art of Skyrim' Official Art Book. Featuring over 200 pages of striking, full-color illustrations, sketches and models, this stunning 9 3/8" x 12 1/8" coffee table book showcases the characters, creatures, environments, and weaponry of Skyrim.
- The Making of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim' DVD. This documentary DVD contains exclusive, behind-the-scenes footage, including interviews with the Bethesda Game Studios team.