The Speech skill is used to get better prices from merchantes and persuade, intimidate, or even bribe others.
— Game description
Speech is one of the eighteen skills that is available in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Speech is used to haggle, barter, persuade and intimidate. Speech is a skill all characters will use, unless actions are taken to avoid buying/selling or persuading.
- The Mercantile skill from the previous game was removed and combined with speechcraft, hence the skill speech.
|Haggling||None||Buying and selling prices are 10% better.|
|Speech 20||Buying and selling prices are 15% better.|
|Speech 40||Buying and selling prices are 20% better.|
|Speech 60||Buying and selling prices are 25% better.|
|Speech 80||Buying and selling prices are 30% better.|
|Allure||Speech 30, Haggling||10% better prices from opposite sex|
|Bribery||Speech 30, Haggling||Can bribe guards to ignore crimes|
|Merchant||Speech 50, Allure||Buy and sell from any merchant regardless of what they normally buy and sell|
|Persuasion||Speech 50, Bribery||Persuasion attempts more likely successful|
|Investor||Speech 70, Merchant||Invest in shops and increase available gold permanently in invested stores|
|Intimidation||Speech 70, Persuasion||Intimidation attempts twice as successful|
|Fence||Speech 90, Investor||Can barter stolen goods with any merchant you have invested in|
|Master Trader||Speech 100, Fence||Every merchant in world gains 1000 gold for bartering|
- Dro'marash, at the Riften stables
- Revyn Sadri, in Windhelm
- Ogmund the Skald, in Markarth
- Giraud Gemane, at the Bards College in Solitude
- Ysolda will increase Speechcraft for a Mammoth Tusk (one-time)
- Ronthil at Castle Volkihar, only in the Dawnguard DLC
- 2920, Second Seed, v5
- Biography of the Wolf Queen
- The Buying Game
- A Dance in Fire, v6
- A Dance in Fire, v7
There is also apparel for Fortify Barter.
- Talk to Ungrien, in Riften, in Black-Briar Meadery behind the front desk, say "Tell me about Maven Black-Briar." Then say "Come on, get the truth off your chest.(Persuade)" over and over until your speech is to 100. This has since been patched.
|Mage||Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Enchanting • Illusion • Restoration|
|Warrior||Archery • Block • Heavy Armor • One-handed • Two-handed • Smithing|
|Thief||Alchemy • Light Armor • Pickpocket • Lockpicking • Sneak • Speech|