Sneak is one of the stealth / thieving skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It affects the player's ability to remain unseen and stealthily attack targets.
- A closed eye means that no one can see you.
- An opening eye means that enemies have become alert and are searching for you.
- A fully open eye means that someone has detected you.
- If the reticle displays DETECTED, an enemy has spotted you and is about to attack.
- If the reticle displays HIDDEN, enemies have lost track of you and stopped searching.
If you attack while the eye is partially closed, your attack is considered a Sneak Attack and does additional damage.
Your ability to sneak successfully is determined by a number of factors:
- Movement: You are hardest to detect while motionless, and easier to spot while moving.
- Line of Sight: Enemies are much less likely to detect you if they can't see you.
- Light Level: The darker it is, the harder it is for enemies to see you.
- Sound: Attacking and casting spells makes noise, which may alert enemies to your presence. Heavier weapons make more noise. Spells produce both sound and light.
- Armor: Heavier armor makes more noise when moving.
Note: There is an exploit due to a glitch at High Hrothgar. If you sneak up on the Greybeards while they are sitting and you are undetected, slash at them with a dagger, and your sneak will level up every 1 to 4 slashes.
Enemies will react to other sounds in the environment, like arrow impacts or traps. You can sometimes use this to your advantage to lure an enemy out of position.
|Stealth||None||You are 20% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Sneak 20||You are 25% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Sneak 40||You are 30% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Sneak 60||You are 35% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Sneak 80||You are 40% harder to detect when sneaking.|
|Backstab||Sneak 30, Stealth||Sneak attacks do 6 times damage with One-handed weapons.|
|Muffled Movement||Sneak 30, Stealth||Noise from armor reduced 50%.|
|Deadly Aim||Sneak 40, Backstab||Sneak attacks with bows do 3 times damage.|
|Light Foot||Sneak 40, Muffled Movement||No longer activate pressure plates.|
|Assassin's Blade||Sneak 50, Deadly Aim||Sneak attacks with daggers do 15 times damage.|
|Silent Roll||Sneak 50, Light Foot||Sprinting while sneaking performs silent forward roll.|
|Silence||Sneak 70, Silent Roll||Running does not affect detection chance.|
|Shadow Warrior||Sneak 100, Silence||Crouching can make hostile enemies lose sight of you and search for a target.|
 Free skill boosts
- Inge Six Fingers provides a +1 Sneak reward (as well as +1 to all other stealth skills) for completing "Finn's Lute"
- Noster Eagle-Eye provides a +1 Sneak reward for finding his helmet
- Stands-In-Shallows provides a +1 Sneak reward for getting the Double-Distilled Skooma
- 2920, Last Seed, v8
- Legend of Krately House
- The Red Kitchen Reader
- Sacred Witness
- Three Thieves
- Oghma Infinium (Path of Shadow only)
|Minor Sneaking||Sneaking||Major Sneaking||Eminent Sneaking||Exteme Sneaking||Peerless Sneaking|
- Thief - Pick 50 locks and 50 pockets.
|Mage||Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Enchanting • Illusion • Restoration|
|Warrior||Archery • Block • Heavy Armor • One-handed • Two-handed • Smithing|
|Thief||Alchemy • Light Armor • Pickpocket • Lockpicking • Sneak • Speech|