The One-handed skill governs the effectiveness of any melee weapon that is held with one hand. Dual-wielding one-handed weapons will still increase this skill. Also, you can dual wield a One-handed weapon with a spell as well.
The One-Handed skill increases relative to the damage dealt by equipped one-handed weapons. The more damage dealt, the more experience is gained. For example, if the player uses a one-handed weapon and a spell to kill an NPC, they would not gain as much experience as if they had dual-wielded two one-handed weapons.
There are 4 weapon classes that fall under the one-handed category.
- Daggers, the weakest as far as damage in one hit, however they possess exceptional speed, being able to get twice as many hits in within a few seconds than any other class, three times as many as maces. They work well for assassin and rogue class characters.
- Swords generally have about 50-75% more power than daggers, but have about 70% slower attack speed. They are exceptional all-around weapons, useful to all classes, including mages.
- War axes have about 30-40% more power than swords and are likewise about 30-40% slower. They are useful to most every class except assassins and rogues because of their slower attack speed compared to swords and daggers.
- Maces have about 30-40% more power than war axes, but are also roughly 40-50% slower. They are the most powerful, but slowest of the one-handed weapons. Because of their sluggish speed, they are preferred by well-armored, hard-hitting classes, such as berserkers or knights. They may be used by weapon-wielding mages, however, their slow speed makes them slightly undependable for lightly-armored, low-stamina classes. However, when dual-wielded, they can lay low most medium-strength enemies with a single power attack.
The slower a weapon is, the more stamina it requires to perform a power attack. When dual-wielding, the attack speed of the combined attack is averaged between the two weapons. For example, if the player were to use a dagger and a sword, their combined attack would be very quick, whereas if they were to use a mace and dagger, it would average out to a medium speed. Though held with only one hand, staves do not count as one-handed weapons except for the fact that two can be wielded at once. They are not affected by and do not affect the One-handed skill. They fall under the category of their respective magic school. For example, a Staff of Fireball would fall under the Destruction skill.
 One-handed Weapon Perks
|Armsman||None||One-handed weapons do 20% more damage.|
|One-handed 20||One-handed weapons do 40% more damage.|
|One-handed 40||One-handed weapons do 60% more damage.|
|One-handed 60||One-handed weapons do 80% more damage.|
|One-handed 80||One-handed weapons do twice as much damage.|
|Fighting Stance||One-handed 20, Armsman||Power attacks with one-handed weapons cost 25% less stamina.|
|Dual Flurry||One-handed 30, Armsman||Dual wielding attacks are 20% faster.|
|One-handed 50||Dual wielding attacks are 35% faster.|
|Bladesman||One-handed 30, Armsman||Attacks with swords have a 10% chance of doing critical damage.|
|One-handed 60||Attacks with swords have a 15% chance of doing critical damage.|
|One-handed 90||Attacks with swords have a 20% chance of doing critical damage.|
|Bone Breaker||One-handed 30, Armsman||Attacks with maces ignore 25% of armor.|
|One-handed 60||Attacks with maces ignore 50% of armor.|
|One-handed 90||Attacks with maces ignore 75% of armor.|
|Hack and Slash||One-handed 30, Armsman||Attacks with war axes cause extra bleeding damage.|
|One-handed 60||Attacks with war axes cause more bleeding damage.|
|One-handed 90||Attacks with war axes cause even more bleeding damage.|
|Critical Charge||One-handed 50, Fighting Stance||Can do a one-handed power attack while sprinting that does double critical damage.|
|Savage Strike||One-handed 50, Fighting Stance||Standing power attacks do 25% bonus damage with a chance to decapitate your enemies.|
|Dual Savagery||One-handed 70, Dual Flurry||Dual wielding power attacks do 50% bonus damage.|
|Paralyzing Strike||One-handed 100, Critical Charge or Savage Strike||Backwards power attack has a 25% chance to paralyze the target.|
- 2920, Morning Star, v1
- Fire and Darkness
- Mace Etiquette
- Night Falls on Sentinel
- The Importance of Where
|Minor Wielding||Wielding||Major Wielding||Eminent Wielding||Exteme Wielding||Peerless Wielding|
- Jester's Clothes only improve wielding by 12%.
|Mage||Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Enchanting • Illusion • Restoration|
|Warrior||Archery • Block • Heavy Armor • One-handed • Two-handed • Smithing|
|Thief||Alchemy • Light Armor • Pickpocket • Lockpicking • Sneak • Speech|