Passage beyond the inner main door is only possible after beginning the Revealing the Unseen quest. An expedition was mounted by the Synod to explore the ruins for clues to magical artefacts of great power, however, only one member of the expedition survives. It is also the location of a large Falmer den.
There are also seven Moonstone Ore Veins.
At the main gate of the complex a researcher of the Synod, Gavros Plinius, mention reaching Paratus Decimius is still at the Oculory. On his body a Mzulft Key allows access to the ruins, and a Research Log sheds some light on the goings on.
The main section of the city. Tunnels have been bored through the ruins where Falmer used to live. This area has been mostly cleared out by the Synod, only to have it reclaimed by the Dwarven Constructs (Spiders (×9) and Spheres (×4)) that protect the place. Some Chaurus (×3) have even made their homes in the tunnels. A convector can be found here as well, along with an alchemy lab.
This is where the Falmer (×10) and chaurus (×5) have the most hold. There are even more tunnels all over the place and this is where the chaurus nests are located. The constructs in this area have mostly been destroyed by the Falmer.
A few more Falmer (×4), a chaurus, and a Dwarven Centurion stand in the way of the Dragonborn in this part of the complex where the Oculory is located. It is a form of magical telescope that will show the locations of all artefacts of great magical power in Skyrim. However, the Oculory can still be overwhelmed by artefacts of unusually great magical power as demonstrated by the Eye of Magnus and Staff of Magnus.
It is in this area that the Dragonborn finds the Focusing Crystal and where the Dragonborn finally encounters Paratus Decimius. And another member of the Psijic Order, Nerien warns the Dragonborn to make haste and return to the College of Winterhold.
Conveniently this area also has an exit to Skyrim, though there is nothing of note out here.
The Dwarven Storeroom is a separate area from the main Mzulft ruins. Inside are a number of pieces of Dwarven scrap metal and a convector.
Items of Note
- Dwarven Metal Ingot ×18, Dwemer chest ~2050 value (L45).
- Dwarven Battleaxe of Freezing, Aetherium Shard (Dawnguard DLC).
- Potions ×3, Dwemer Gyro ×3, Dwarven Metal Ingot ×2 and bed rolls ×2.
- Dwarven Shield (west of first outdoor area, in corner) and Scroll of Paralyze.
- Knapsack ~970; Dwemer chests ~1380, ~511, ~660, ~500, ~230 value (L66).
- Potions ×4, poisons ×3, Dwemer Gyro ×8, Dwarven Metal Ingot ×2 and stone beds ×3.
- In a Falmer tent: Pine Thrush Egg ×2 and one rare in-door nest; chaurus eggs ×10.
- A copy of The Lunar Lorkhan and Dwarven Helmet.
- Falmer chests ~680, ~110; Dwemer chests ~1260, ~290, ~430, ~1340 value (L66).
- Potion, Dwemer Gyro ×8, Dwarven Metal Ingot ×2, stone bed and bed roll ×3.
- In a Falmer tent: Pine Thrush Egg ×3 and another rare in-door nest.
- A copies of Dwarves, v1, Dwemer History and Culture ×2, Dwemer Inquiries Vol III ×2, Antecedants of Dwemer Law, Dwemer Inquiries Vol I and Dwemer Inquiries Vol II.
- Scroll of Chain Lightning, Spell Tome: Frostbite and Spell Tome: Flames.
- Falmer chests ~580, ~; Dwemer chests ~180, ~1660; knapsack ~440 value (L66).